“Tune into the creative energy of the Universe & you’ll experience wildly awesome synchronicity.” – Gabby Bernstein
If you’re a fan of Gabby Bernstein, you may have heard her speak about her “sign” from the Universe. Whenever Gabby needs a sign that she is on the right path, she asks the Universe to send her an owl. This doesn’t need to be an actual owl – sometimes it’s a picture of an owl, a gift card with an owl on the faceplate, even a bumper sticker with an owl. When she sees the owl, she interprets its presence as receiving divine guidance.
After hearing Gabby speak about this, I decided to try it on my own. I asked the Universe to show me butterflies in moments when I’m on the right path. It was a strange thing for me to pick. I’ve never really had any attachment or special interest in butterflies – it was just the first thing that came to mind.
Within a week of asking for my new sign, I was in the healing room at Bow & Arrow working on a client. While doing Reiki, I looked up and saw that Kellyn had added a new picture to the cabinet in the healing room – a butterfly. I smiled, thinking this was the Universe’s way of showing me that healing is my path.
A couple weeks later, I was in St. John celebrating my birthday. From the moment I arrived, I saw signs everywhere we went:
- A butterfly notepad in the rental house.
- A gorgeous orange butterfly visited me at the pool the morning of my birthday. It came back later that day with a second butterfly.
- During a day trip to the British Virgin Islands, I encountered a wall of butterflies at Peter Island Resort.
- My Instagram feed was full of butterflies the entire week – even stamped into a burger bun at Mariposa restaurant in Sedona, one of my favorite places.
|Birthday butterfly in St. John|
But the most special butterfly moment of the trip was when I was walking down to a private beach through a wooded path. I was by myself – the rest of the group was still at the house – and a black butterfly flew in front of me and “led” me down the path to the beach. I couldn’t get my phone out fast enough to capture the moment, but it was one that I couldn’t believe. It was just too perfect of a moment.
I have said many times that I’d like to someday move to St. John. I couldn’t help but wonder if the Universe was telling me that St. John is my path because I do not believe in coincidences. Only time will tell. In the meantime, I will trust that the Universe has my back and will continue to look for signs to reaffirm that I’m on the right path.
Interested in asking the Universe for a sign? Gabby has a few suggestions:
- Be specific. Asking the Universe to show you something like “sunshine” is too broad. Get specific about what you want to see – 11:11 on the clock, a yellow car, a lady bug…the more specific, the more certain you can be that it’s a true sign from the Universe. Maybe it’s not something you see; perhaps it’s a song that doesn’t play often or a specific band.
- Ask for clear direction. Make sure you ask the Universe to send you the sign when you need it. For example, send me a feather when I’m on the right path.
- Accept when you don’t see your sign. Know that when you do not get your sign, you are being redirected to something better for you and all involved.
- Try not to control the outcome. If you are trying to see a blue jay, and a robin lands on your deck, that is not your sign. Be patient and wait for the blue jay!